Friday, February 11, 2011

Sunlight



I worked from a photograph today.  I was attracted to the panes of glass and the white trim.  The shadows in the photograph were so flat and dark.  I really struggled with them, but this was a fun piece to paint. 

As a rule, I don't use this forum to comment on current events, but February 11, 2011 is such a historic day.  While painting, I have been keeping my eye on the news coming out of Cairo, and my heart goes out to the Egyptian people.  I am reminded of the day the Berlin Wall fell, and I pray their new democracy will be as successful.

2 comments:

Linda Nickles said...

This pretty painting seems appropriately titled, Darla because I can just feel the sunlight. Nicely done. Also, I share your thoughts about the people of Cairo. I was there sixteen months ago, and so it feels very real to me.

Darla McDowell said...

Thank you, Linda. :)

Your trip sounds so wonderful! It has always been one of my desired destinations. Israel and Jordan, too. The Egyptian people must hold a special place in your heart. I wish the very best to them during this time of transition.