Monday, April 13, 2015

Still Life with Vintage Cheese Crate and Tomato



After a wonderful rain last night, it is a rather blustery, spring day here. The light isn't quite right for painting, so I've been cleaning and organizing. So, I thought I would post this painting from yesterday. I've wanted to paint this rickety, cheese crate for a while. The lettering is almost completely worn and weathered, but I think it may say "Kree-Me." I love all of the technology that we have today, but it would be nice to go back to a time when milk arrived at your door in thick, glass bottles, and cheese was packaged in a little wooden crates.

I hope your week is off to a great beginning!

3 comments:

hmuxo said...

Excellent painting Darla....your work with wood is always fantastic!!

Azra said...

The contrast between the shiny fresh tomato against the wood is stunning! I agree I loved those milk bottles, we were given milk at school in the same bottles but a mini size.

Darla McDowell said...

Thank you, Hilda and Azra! And how neat, Azra! That's a wonderful childhood memory! :)